DOES CAR INSURANCE IN KENYA COVER HIT AND RUN?
If you’re a victim of a hit-and-run, your car insurance will only cover you if you have comprehensive coverage on your policy. Otherwise, if you have Third Party Only, you are not covered.
A driver who fails to remain on the scene of an accident or fails to provide their information can be fined and face imprisonment. However, some people still decide to run. This article explains the consequences for the driver who flees accident scene and for a victim of a hit-and-run incident.
What is considered a hit and run?
A hit-and-run is when a driver causes physical damage to property or injury to another person and leaves the scene without leaving their information, assisting anyone who is injured, or contacting the police.
Under Kenya’s criminal code, drivers are required to offer assistance to anyone who is injured and leave their name and address. Traffic Act also dictates that drivers are required to remain at the scene, offer assistance, and provide their name, address, driver’s license number, license plate and insurance information. They can also leave a visible note on a vehicle if it was struck when there’s no one around that includes this information.
Penalties for a Hit and Run
In Kenya, penalties for drivers convicted of a hit-and-run (or failure to remain at the scene of an accident or failure to report an accident) may include:
- The license being revoked.
The more severe the outcome of the accident, the more severe the penalties usually are. If convicted, the driver will also see a large increase in their car insurance rates.
Car Insurance Coverage for a Hit and Run
If you’re the blamed driver, your third-party liability coverage would help cover the costs of damage, injuries and lawsuits. However, if you’ve fled the scene of the accident and been criminally charged over it, your insurance may not cover any of these costs. This is because insurance does not cover criminal actions.
If you’re a victim of a hit and run, your car insurance will not cover the damage unless:
- You have comprehensive coverage on your vehicle. This will cover physical damages from a hit and run.
- You have enough proof and necessary documents to support hit and run report.
- You obtain a police abstract confirming the hit and run incident.
- Document the date, time, weather and how you discovered the damage.
- Take pictures and video of the damage.
- Call the police and file a police report.
- Ask nearby homeowners or business owners if they witnessed anything for witnessing statement
- Call your insurance agent for guidance.
Hit and runs are frustrating to deal with. Your insurance agent https://imana.co.ke/ is here to help you. Please give us a call to discuss your car insurance coverage and how to protect yourself in the event of a hit-and-run accident.
Looking to buy car insurance in kenya? Contact us below:
- Imana Insurance Agency Kenya Ltd
- Westlands, Western Heights, 10th Floor
- Telephone: +254796209402
- Email: email@example.com
- Website: https://imana.co.ke/